The bed has been the major focus of our Master Bedroom Revamp. After transforming the walls from dark blue to white, we got busy with some serious mattress research. Our new BeautyRest Black Sidney Mattress finally arrived and now it’s time for bedding and finishing all the little details in the room. Below are some tips for creating your ultimate dream bed:
1. New Mattress! What first attracted us to the Beatyrest Black Collection was the overall appearance of the mattress—-these things are thick (14-18 inches depending on the model) and the fabrics and materials stand out from the rest. Since we have a platform bed that doesn’t require a box spring, a thick, sturdy mattress is ideal and we found that in the Beautyrest Black Sidney ($3,500-$5,599. We were won over by the Micro Diamond Infused AirCool Memory Foam Technology. We are literally sleeping on diamonds. Beautyrest has utilized the conductive properties of diamonds to help move body heat away from the body and help regulate your temperature throughout the night. The amazing pillowtop on this thing was amazing enough, but the idea of sleeping atop of diamonds really sealed the deal! We are completely loving our Beautyrest Black experience so far, and I’ll do a follow-up in a couple weeks! The Beautyrest Black Collection is definitely luxury at it’s finest. Sleep is the ultimate luxury, afterall, dream in black.
2. Bedding! West Elm is my go-to resource for home decor—especially when it comes to bedding or shower curtains. I just haven’t found anyone else who offers the great color and patterns that West Elm does. However, bedding was not an easy decision for me. I actually purchased and returned 3 comforters before finally falling in love with West Elm’s Stamped Duvet ($119.oo). With the clean white walls and our large wooden bed frame the simple black and white pattern of this duvet ended up being the perfect balance. We choose the Standard Down Alternative Insert ($179.00) to go inside the duvet. It’s fluffy, but not overly thick or warm.
3. Sheets! Sheets were another tough decision for me. I really wanted to go all out and get 1000 thread count Egyptian Cotton sheets. Afterall, that seemed like the perfect compliment to our extremely luxurious mattress. But you guys, they do *not* make Egyptian cotton sheets in fun colors or patterns. And I’ll admit it, I totally wanted sheets that were a little crazy. I ended up ordering these Striped Celery Root ($49) sheets from West Elm. At 200 TC I was kind of nervous that they wouldn’t be that soft—-but you know what? They totally are. And the smile they put on my face every time I pull back the duvet and see those bright green stripes is priceless. (plus, they were totally on sale). Other options pictured: West Elm Dot Sheet Set ($99.00, king), West Elm Organic Harmony Sheet Set ($79.99, king).
4. Pillows! Oh man. This is going to be a long post. Because I also have way too much to say about pillows. I have always been a huge fan of throw pillows. Stacking our throw pillows to the side of our bed has been a nightly ritual for years and has always reminded me of that scene in Along Came Polly (you know, this one). But for some reason I am just totally undecided in the throw pillow department this time. When I ordered our bedding I ordered three West Elm Euro Pillows ($49.00 each) with the matching Stamped Euro Covers ($29.00 each) and so far I am just really loving the simplicity of how it looks and how fast we can make (and unmake) the bed. Not to mention, Euro pillows are so much more comfortable than throw pillows when it comes to snuggling up and reading or watching a movie in bed. I think we’re gonna buck tradition and skip the throw pillows. Options pictured: West Elm Silk Cayenne Cover ($35.00), West Elm Steven Alan Pillow Cover ($35.00), West Elm Embroidered Lattice Pillow Cover ($39.0o).
5. Accent Blanket or throw! I’m a big fan of having an extra blanket layered across the foot of the bed. Not only does it provide a pop of color and some extra texture…but it also comes in handy when you need some extra warmth. Which for me is all the time. Right now we have added a bright green IKEA blanket that we already owned, but I might upgrade it if we find the right color and size. Options pictured: West Elm Jacquard Key Throw ($47.00), West Elm Softest Throw ($39.00), West Elm Steven Alan Alpaca Throw ($103.00).
So there you have it. That is my process for putting together a bed and I am so happy with our final result! I can’t wait to share pictures of our completely redone bedroom (coming soon) along with a follow-up review after 1-month on our Beautyrest Black Sidney mattress!
Please note that we were provided with a Beautyrest Black Sidney Mattress courtesy of Simmons Beautyrest for review, but all opinions shared within this post are my own. As always, I aim to share the products and experiences that I truly love + enjoy.