You know when you’re hunting for the *perfect* staple item and then you finally find them and you’re just like….hell yes. That’s kind of how I feel about these denim cut-off from GAP (get 35% off today, 8/31, with code HAPPY). Generally I’m more into dresses and skirts than shorts, particularly denim shorts, and particularly cut-off shorts. It’s been a while since I wore cut-offs. Mainly because it seemed so hard to find a pair that didn’t show off my buns, you know? Why are shorts just so short nowadays? Do I sound old? I just wanted shorts I felt comfortable in!
Anyways, I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect denim shorts since late 2014 and although I’ve found a few pairs I like, I haven’ted LOVED any of them. Until these. This was my criteria and these shorts hit all of them:
- Sturdy, thick denim. Some give but not “stretchy”.
- A higher-rise waist.
- Fit my waist AND my legs.
- Cut-offs with frayed edges
- Three-inch inseam or longer.
- Slightly longer in the back than the front.
If those things sound up your alley, these shorts are your dream come true. I literally ordered two pairs for fear of never finding a pair I loved this much. Here are a couple of my pro-tips:
- Consider sizing down. In most jeans I wear a 27. In these I purchased a 26. Washed and dried them, then wore them once, noticed that they stretched quite a bit with wear, so I sized down to a 25. (To help with sizing my measurements are: 25 inch waist, 37 inch hips).
- The seam on the left leg will appear slightly higher than the right side, due to the up-cut and fraying on the right leg. It’s cute, but bothered me! So, I took a scissors and up-cut the left side to match the right. One time through the wash/dryer and a little pulling on the strings and it looked perfect.